Recent comments

Reply to
Taoism vs Daoism vs Buddhism vs Confucianism - The Difference Between? 7 years 1 week ago

The taoist sage isn't separating self from the universe. The daoist does not force change upon nature and accepts when change happens. The taoist loves himself truly and doesn't frown upon death for it is natural. The daoist sees the world as perfect and in balance. Because change is always changing, tao is eternal.
The buddhist has a goal. The Buddhist wants to detach himself from the world to end suffering. The world is a trap and the only escape comes with diciplined detachment. It isnt about loving yourself and accepting the world like its your body.
Confucius is focused more on more social aspects within society. It is full of rules a expectations for a utopia like city. It is more focused on human affairs than nature as a whole.

Qiyun yulu 栖云语录 DZ1059 7 years 2 weeks ago

See Komjathy (2007: 276) for a discussion of this text.[1]

References

To what extent have daoist practices actually influenced martial arts? 7 years 3 weeks ago

Thank you.
I read the webpage and would like to find out more with regards of the inner work daoists developed into that footwork.
At p. 2 you can read some of the details of the practice of walking in circle; this seems to me a religious practice. By 'religious' I mean the daoist has to repeat one or two mantras while moving in circle, almost like praying. The interesting aspect emerged is circle walking should or may take the practitioner towards that stage where stillness in motion can be found.

Yes; there are lots of connections between methods of fightings and daoism. Well we may start enquirying, scholar Tang Hao started a while ago to dig, let's not waste his effort. You may have heard about him.

Daoist Charities? 7 years 3 weeks ago

Hi Jason
Please post your questions like this by starting a new thread in the Questions forum. However, to answer your question, you might like to consult http://www.daoiststudies.org/dao/content/short-history-daoism-introduction or read any of the introductory books by myself, Livia Kohn or Ronnie Littlejohn.
James

Daoist Charities? 7 years 3 weeks ago

This is off topic, I'm sorry.

I am interested in Taoism/Daoism - but am a bit dismayed at the overwhelming amount of, and often conflicting literature.

I have been "Christian", but that's not where I "belong". I have read the Tao Te Ching (I a translation while stationed in Japan).

Is there a recommended resource... that is reliable? I find that there is talk of there being a philosophy and a religion - then talk of the distinction being a Western phenomenon...

I apologize for my "hijacking" of the forum thread.

Jason

To what extent have daoist practices actually influenced martial arts? 7 years 4 weeks ago

Hi the link covers how Tung Hai Chuan evolved it to a Martial system based on much research; but their is nowadays lots of teachers and info on the Tao & Martial connection. Traditional Chen Family Taijiquan, Wudang Taijiquan, Liu He Bafa & Bagua have many text that cover the martial and Tao connection.

If you could find a practitioner of a lineage who has received Oral transmission they can expand on what all the great text talk about. Check out Sifu Park Bok Nam has great credentials... Good luck in you research....Gary

I knew Moy Lin Shin and was even initiated into the Fung Loy Kok Temple that he ran in Toronto, so I guess I'm a primary source myself. You can learn a bit more by looking at the following websites.

First, this is the Taoist Tai Chi Society site, it is the group that Moy set up to teach tai chi chuan. http://www.taoist.org

Second, here is a sub-page devoted to Moy Lin Shin. It doesn't mention that he was a monk, but that was certainly what I was told. Of course, this would be a bad translation of the term "daoshi". But he did set up and run a Temple in Toronto. He also had another fellow, Moi Ming Do, who used to come to Canada once in a while for specific ceremonies (like my initiation into the temple) and to lead meditation classes. He was supposedly an "elder" to Moy. http://www.taoist.org/content/standard.asp?name=OurFounder&highlight=moy...

Finally, this is a page devoted to the Temple that Moy and Moi set up in Toronto. The giant Guan-Yin in the photo is at the Orangeville, Ontario retreat centre. The property was aquired many years ago, and I spent the summer there the first year. I suspect that it is the largest Daoist temple complex in North America. Again, there is an organizational division between the Taoist Tai Chi Society and the Fung Loy Kok, but functionally they are part of the same organization. And this group is by far the greatest influence on spreading Taijiquan and Qigong to North America, or at least it seems to me.

Hi Bill,
Yes; that is part of what I am looking for. Part of the myths and stereotypes about Taoism may have originated from similar environments.

Where can I find some documentation about it? Can I ask you how do you know he is a self-described "monk"?
Given the nature of the topic, it happens that many people seriously interested in learning Taoism and perhaps without knowledge of Chinese culture or language have to start with "what's available in town".

I am happy to continue the discussion.

Hi Gary,
Thank you for your advise.
I had a look at that website; is there any article(s) from that website you would recommend and why.

Tommaso

Health in a Nutshell: Pharmacological Analysis of Daoist Dietary Ingredients 7 years 4 weeks ago

How can I acquire this paper for his reading? Thanks in advance!
from Argentina, Angel.

If I understand your question, I could suggest the probably the biggest force in popularizing Taijiquan in North America has been the Taoist Tai Chi Society (TTCS.) It was founded by a self-described Daoist "monk" by the name of Moy Lin Shin, who was a founder of the Fung Loy Kok Taoist Temple in Hong Kong, which I understand was a subset of the Yuen-Yuen Institute (a very large Taoist Institution in Hong Kong.)

While the taijiquan taught through the TTCS is often described as being not very good, a large number of people have started out with it (because at one time it was the "only game in town" in many parts of the world) and then gone on to study the internal martial arts to a significant manner.

Is this the sort of response you are looking for?

Hi after reading your post first area thatcomes to mind is Bagua Zhuang which from much experience and research traces it's origins to various Daoist Sects. Here is something to read here:

Daoist Charities? 7 years 5 weeks ago

Hi Bill,

I'm on the board of a US- based charity: http://www.daoistfoundation.org/ They have full status as a non-profit public charity.

James.

White Tiger, Green Dragon 7 years 7 weeks ago

Review?

The Huainanzi: A Guide to the Theory and Practice of Government in Early Han China 7 years 8 weeks ago

Hobbyist, practitioner of tai-chi just started this book after reading Roth's "Original Tao." I'm enjoying it very much. Is there a good translation in print of the Guanzi that someone could recommend?

Interpreting Paik Nam June in a new light 7 years 9 weeks ago

anyone knows or doing research any other material about avant-garde, fluxus artists and taoist? if so, I would love to discuss and share some about this.

Health in a Nutshell: Pharmacological Analysis of Daoist Dietary Ingredients 7 years 10 weeks ago

very good paper about daoism

Twigs under rocks 7 years 10 weeks ago

It has nothing to do with a Daoist belief but something to do with superstition. It is said that placing a twig under a rock (actually supporting a rock) can give you relief for backache or leg pain. You can find those twigs supporting a rock at mountains nationwide, especially the famous ones, and sometimes many twigs under one rock.

三十六水法 7 years 11 weeks ago

DZ1 - DZ338 are uploaded.

三十六水法 7 years 11 weeks ago
Hi, I have not been able to download any files from the daoazng. I am interested in the following:

Possible to get a list for items that have been uploaded?

Science on Qi. 7 years 12 weeks ago

Science on Qi (2010) uploaded to Daoist Studies.

Lead Without Leading: The Application of Wuwei to Business 7 years 13 weeks ago

Very interested in your intepretation of Wuwei as "waiting". I am now an MBA candidate in London, final term, preparing for my dissertation.

Simply reading hundreds of times for last 20 years, and having written 3 editions of intepretation of this greatest philosophy, I find it very useful to try to link the chapters into several parts. Maybe it really helps understand what the author really means: as complex as simple - the paradox he used a lot.

Is it possible for you to send some of your workds and be my tutor in my dissertations? I want to write on the implications of Dao De Jing on modern business manangement.

Thank you very much.

Yours sincerely,

Xia (pronounced as Shah)

Infusing Chinese Medicine with Spirit: Daoism, Shamanism and Chinese Medicine in the Western World 7 years 14 weeks ago

I would be very interested to read this paper having just attended a retreat with a jhankri shaman from Nepal. I am very interested in bridging this gap in my TCM education.

Daoism and Ecology: The Relationship between Morality and Group Size 7 years 14 weeks ago

Oh, I have to get my hands on a copy of this. I have been thinking olong these lines lately.

Louguantai - 11 7 years 15 weeks ago