Recent comments

Reply to
Sustainable China 7 years 15 weeks ago

Click here to view the items in this feed

Twigs under rocks 7 years 16 weeks ago

It was my question originally. My wife and I have seen this a number of times, usually at or around temples in rural China. Most recently we observed twigs placed under a rock at Tanzhe Temple, a major Buddhist temple outside Beijing. Any ideas?Twigs supporting rocksTwigs supporting rocks

Wudang Sanfeng Pai Taijiquan 13 Postures Pattern 7 years 24 weeks ago

Graceful and attentive performance of this taiji form. The setting and scenery at the Eight Immortals Temple is very beautiful.

Scan quality 7 years 28 weeks ago

Sorry, there's nothing I can do about the scans.

Extensive Daoist links page 7 years 28 weeks ago

Hey sorry about this people, unfortunately it looks like 'dao house' has had its day. Shame! Oh well onward into nothing in particular we go...

1st International Summit on Laozi and Daoist Culture 7 years 37 weeks ago

You can read my account of the opening ceremony of the Summit on my blog, at http://www.sustainablechina.info/2009/11/05/chinas-green-religion/

Suggestions 7 years 48 weeks ago

Thanks for this helpful advice. Keep me posted if any of you have issues with your browsers. I use a Mac so it's not always obvious if there are any problems for PC users.

Suggestions 7 years 48 weeks ago

Did some internet searching and ran across a note that Windows has extra language packs that usually don't get installed. Using the Date, Time and Regional settings in Control Panel allowed me to install East Asian Language Pack, which fixed me right up.

Suggestions 7 years 48 weeks ago

Hello,

Can you tell me which font is being used for Chinese? I'm only getting square boxes on all the appropriate titles. Maybe a link to the downloadable font on the Internet? :)

Thanks a bunch!

Ken

Rothenburg TCM conference 2009 8 years 11 weeks ago

Hope to see you in Rothenburg. If you are attending, please get in touch.

Peer review assignment 8 years 16 weeks ago

Reviewer found - thanks.

Suggestions 8 years 16 weeks ago

Actually the alphabetical results aren't scrambled. It's just that if you're searching for author X, the program includes all records for author X even if s/he is a secondary or third author. In those cases searching for author X may produce a list that looks like author B, author X and author Z. But in all these cases author X will be one of the authors.

As to duplicate entries, sorry about this!

Suggestions 8 years 16 weeks ago

The bibliography results get scrambled - there does not appear to be an alphabetical order to the results. Also, for some reason many of the results appear to be duplicated.

Rafael

Watch the label of "superstitious Daoism" 8 years 18 weeks ago

I read the Tao Teh Ching a few weeks before we addressed the topic of Daoism in my introduction to World Religions class, yet by that time I was already categorizing Daoism the way you did 15 years ago. Feeling turned off upon discovering how Lao Tzu became the main devotional element of Daoism as it was developing, I also found the other supernatural beliefs held by some Daoists fairly questionable.

Yet reading your first-hand account of Daoism's current incarnation in Taiwan is enlightening. I wonder, still, whether superstition is a useful aspect of a religion I find otherwise intriguing and resourceful; but your observed prevalence of such superstition in Daoism's modern incarnation suggests it plays a larger role than I had first imagined. So accept my thanks for providing me with a more accurate conception.

And as for the foreigner's faux pas - at least your statement wasn't as public and embarrassing as Obama's on Jay Leno!

-Justin Turner

The Moral Fool. A Case For Amorality 8 years 21 weeks ago

Synopsis: The Moral Fool

Justice, equality, and righteousness—these are some of our greatest moral convictions. Yet in times of social conflict, morals can become rigid, making religious war, ethnic cleansing, and political purges possible. Morality, therefore, can be viewed as a pathology—a rhetorical, psychological, and social tool that is used and abused like a weapon.

An expert on Eastern religions and social-systems theory, Hans-Georg Moeller questions the perceived goodness of morality and those who claim morality is inherently positive. Critiquing the ethical "fanaticism" of Western moralists, such as Immanuel Kant, Lawrence Kohlberg, John Rawls, and the Utilitarians, Moeller points to the absurd fundamentalisms and impracticable prescriptions that arise from definitions of good. He advances instead a theory of "moral foolishness," or moral asceticism, extracted from the "amoral" philosophers of East Asia and such thinkers as Ludwig Wittgenstein and Niklas Luhmann. The moral fool doesn't understand why ethics are necessarily good, and he isn't convinced that the moral perspective is always positive. In this way, he is like most people, and Moeller defends this foolishness against ethical pathologies that support the death penalty, just wars, and even Jerry Springer's crude moral theater. Comparing and contrasting the religious philosophies of Christianity, Daoism, and Zen Buddhism throughout, Moeller presents a compelling argument in favor of amorality.

Chinese Religions in Contemporary Societies 8 years 22 weeks ago

Further information about this books can be found at http://www.jamesmiller.ca/publications.chinese.php

Suggestions 8 years 23 weeks ago

Dear Dr. Miller:

I will second thanks for taking time and effort for this site.  Your work is dearly appreciated.  No suggestions immediately come to mind.  But if you have specific needs to which the user community can contribute, please let us know.

敬頌 學祺。

Suggestions 8 years 23 weeks ago

Dear Prof. Miller,

Thanks much for getting the forum and the site going again. I am sure it will prove to be a useful resource for everyone.

take care,